Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why Bruce Campbell is my favorite actor...

In re-reading my older posts, I seem to have neglected pointing out what people who know me know to be the obvious. I adore Bruce Campbell. I'll watch him in anything, even if it is a pile of crap. Luckily, most Bruce Campbell films have enough redeeming qualities for me to overlook poor plots, poor writing, terrible effects, poor production, a overload of lame humor or anything else that I would point out as a flaw in a non-BC film.

I met Bruce Campbell. It was awesome. For being very brief and very rushed and considering that I was terribly tongue-tied. I went in with a plan. I was going to buy several autograph tickets so I could buy a few minutes in the hopes of attempting a real conversation with the man, whom I admire for more than his acting skills. In arriving, my friend and I were pretty annoyed to find out that it was a one autograph per person deal. There would be no bribery and no quick conversation with Bruce in my future.

Photos of Bruce from ZomBcon 2010:
How I partied down at ZomBcon 2010:

Closer...

There was also the awesome Evil Dead Wedding...

But even for all of the above awesomeness, none of those are the reason that Bruce is my favorite actor. Not as Ash...

Not as Sam Axe...

Or Chuck Finley...

Or even as Bruce Campbell...

The biggest reason I love Bruce Campbell is because he's real. I used to state that actors aren't real people; that their jobs are based in unreality and therefore, they don't even know who they really are. Therefore, actors aren't real people. Bruce proved me wrong.

1) Bruce doesn't browbeat his fans with his politcal opinions. Thank you, Bruce, for not being guilty of my number one pet peeve with celebrities. I'll probably end up ranting about this very subject at a later time, as I try so very hard to not unfollow peeps on Twitter for posting political crapfest after political crapfest.

2) Bruce treats his fans with respect. You might question that if you've seen some of his Q&A's, but it's pretty obvious that any shit-flipping he does in that setting is just in fun... even if he does seem like a douche at the time. Having had all of six seconds to speak with the man, I can say that he really appreciates his fans. And he doesn't have one of those overboard egos where all he can talk about is himself.

3) Bruce made his own success. He stuck his neck out there and did the thing that he loved. And he succeeded. The man is an inspiration for up and coming artists and business people. It's nice to look at an example of someone who stuck his neck out and didn't get it cut off.

4) He can laugh at himself. Watch My Name Is Bruce sometime. I'm pretty sure that "real" Bruce doesn't drink liquor out of a dog bowl, but he can make it pretty convincing... in a side-splitting, I-just-hurt-myself kind of way.

I love this quote he gave Starbucks for their cups...

If the print is too small to read, it says:
"If you're worried about getting a job - or keeping one - start a company of your own. By doing so, you'll reap the rewards of your hard work and you'll only get fired if you fail. This is the land of opportunity. Live in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment