Wednesday, November 13, 2013

On-call temp job... hours that normal people are sleeping... and people avoiding me...

It's been a few days, so I figured I'd pop in with a little randomness.

As of yesterday evening, I'm officially employed again, to a certain extent. It's temp work and will be on-call until after Thanksgiving, when I hope I'll be getting a regular schedule.

That means after getting home at 7:30pm from orientation, I had to be up at 3am to call in and see if I was working. It'll be like that daily until I get a schedule of my own.

I don't mind the hours, I've done the job before and it's somewhat intense, but I liked it and will again.

Calling this morning, I wasn't needed. So now what? I decided I'd better start getting used to graveyards again, so I stayed up. It's a little surreal being up before the sun comes up... correction: it's a little surreal to be up this long before the sun comes up.

Friends will find that I've rambled about a few things on Twitter and Facebook, just because. Two other friends were up at 4:30am when I posted, so it's nice to know I wasn't the only Washingtonian awake.

Wish me luck as I adjust back into working graveyard.


In other news, my ego was smarting over the weekend because a friend of mine is avoiding me. Ok: don't feel good, too busy to talk, somehow I pissed you off... whatever the reason, communicate with me. Please. If you want to tell me to go take a flying leap off a bridge, fine, but say something. I can handle it if I pissed you off and you need to go apeshit on me, but the quiet... that I can't take.

I'll admit that I'm not the best at keeping in touch with people either, so maybe this is karma for disappointing too many people in the past. Which reminds me that I have a short list of people I should really touch base with soon. I am thinking of you guys, I'm just keeping odd hours now and don't want to be a disruption.

But yes, if you want to tell me to take a flying leap, I'm tough, I can take it...



I also had joys in dealing with a lovely state-administered institution for the unemployed this week. My pity stipend didn't get deposited on Friday (like the website said), on Monday because of the holiday, nor all day yesterday. Meanwhile, I'm running from dental appointment to work safety training without a dollar to my name. Knowing I had to be up to call and touch base with the new boss this morning, I went to bed right upon returning from safety training. I woke about midnight, checked for my money, went back to bed, got up at 3am, called the boss, no work, checked for money. Nothing. I'll have you know that it finally appeared at 5:30am.

So there's that. It's about to start getting interesting around here.

And I'm still writing, though I worry how the new work hours are going to impact my project. I seem to write best during the times I'm going to need to be sleeping. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment