Thursday, February 2, 2012

Photography: A Major Passion...

I've shared enough of my photos here that you've probably already figured I'm an eccentric and enthusiastic photographer. My first camera was a Kodak 126, with which I wasted countless rolls of film clicking away at ducks and the neighbors dogs and whatever odd thing I could find. My grandma used to give me a lot of grief when she'd develop a roll of film for me and it was all of the ducks on the lake. Again.


As a teen, I practiced my chosen craft at rock concerts and radio station promotional events. I shot rock bands into my twenties, when photography and I decided to take a mutually agreed-upon break from one another. Not that I completely stopped taking pictures, it's just that I was done driving to Portland or Olympia or Tacoma or Bellingham to go to shows. For a while, I kept the camera close, but let the photo opportunities come to me.


At one point, I was convinced to dig out a camera and shoot a wedding. Don't think weddings are my favorite thing to shoot by a long shot. I felt out of place and that my shots would be contrived and stiff. I'm much more of a candid photographer. I like those unexpected shots: things that just happen to look interesting, things that happen organically.


A few summers ago, I went on a serious beach kick. Every weekend it was a different beach either on Puget Sound, or on a few occasions I drove all the way to the ocean. Now and then, I still take outings with my camera to try and find some unique element of natural beauty or the bizarre leavings of human beings (unintentional art). I've recently considered getting back into freelancing as a candid photographer at concerts and events. We shall see if I get any interest.


I started a new page for my photography work. You can buy prints, greeting cards and other cool stuff if you're so inclined. If not, it's always free to look... though if enough people buy from me, I'd be able to go to the Zombie Prom...


That said, you can find my photography site on Redbubble here.










And while you're looking, check out my friend Bekah's portfolio here. She's awesomely talented too!

No comments:

Post a Comment